Brand Name Choices
What Zofran is and what it is used for
Zofran injection contains a medicine called ondansetron. This belongs to a group of medicines called anti-emetics. Zofran injection is used for:
• preventing nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy (in adults and children) or radiotherapy for cancer (adults only)
• preventing nausea and vomiting after surgery. Ask your doctor, nurse or pharmacist if you would like any further explanation about these uses.
How to take Zofran
Zofran injection is normally given by a nurse or doctor. The dose you have been prescribed will depend on the treatment you are having. To prevent nausea and vomiting from chemotherapy or radiotherapy in adults -3
•On the day of chemotherapy or radiotherapy
• the usual adult dose is 8 mg given by a slow injection into your vein or muscle, just before your treatment, and another 8 mg twelve hours later. After chemotherapy, your medicine will usually be given by mouth as an 8 mg Zofran tablet or 10 ml (8 mg) Zofran syrup. On the following days
• the usual adult dose is one 8 mg tablet or 10 ml (8 mg) syrup taken twice a day
• this may be given for up to 5 days. If your chemotherapy or radiotherapy is likely to cause severe nausea and vomiting, you may be given more than the usual dose of Zofran. Your doctor will decide this. To prevent nausea and vomiting from chemotherapy in children aged over 6 months and adolescents The doctor will decide the dose depending on the child’s size (body surface area) or weight. Look at the label for more information On the day of chemotherapy
• the first dose is given by an injection into the vein, just before your child’s treatment. After chemotherapy, your child’s medicine will usually be given by mouth twelve hours later, as Zofran syrup or a Zofran tablet. On the following days
• 2.5 ml (2 mg) syrup twice a day for small children and those weighing 10 kg or less
• one 4 mg tablet or 5 ml (4 mg) syrup twice a day for larger children and those weighing more than 10 kg
• two 4 mg tablets or 10 ml (8 mg) syrup twice a day for teenagers (or those with a large body surface area)
• these doses can be given for up to five days To prevent and treat nausea and vomiting after an operation Adult:
• The usual dose for adults is 4 mg given by a slow injection into your vein or an injection into your muscle. For prevention, this will be given just before your operation. Children:
• For children aged over 1 month and adolescents the doctor will decide the dose. The maximum dose is 4 mg given as a slow injection into the vein. For prevention, this will be given just before the operation. Patients with moderate or severe liver problems The total daily dose should not be more than 8 mg. If you keep feeling or being sick Zofran injection should start to work soon after having the injection. If you continue to be sick or feel sick, tell your doctor or nurse. If you have more Zofran injection than you should Your doctor or nurse will give you or your child Zofran injection so it is unlikely that you or your child will receive too much. If you think you or your child have been given too much or have missed a dose, tell your doctor or nurse
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Zofran injection can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Allergic reactions If you have an allergic reaction, tell your doctor or a member of the medical staff straight away. The signs may include:
• sudden wheezing and chest pain or chest tightness
• swelling of your eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue
• skin rash
•red spots or lumps under your skin (hives) anywhere on your body
Other side effects include:
Very common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people)
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
• a feeling of warmth or flushing
• changes to liver function test results (if you have Zofran injection with a medicine called cisplatin, otherwise this side effect is uncommon)
• irritation and redness at the site of injection.
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
• low blood pressure, which can make you feel faint or dizzy
• uneven heart beat
• chest pain
• unusual body movements or shaking.
Rare (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
• feeling dizzy or light headed
• blurred vision
• disturbance in heart rhythm (sometimes causing a sudden loss of consciousness)
Very rare (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people)
• poor vision or temporary loss of eyesight, which usually comes back within 20 minutes.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Zofran
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use Zofran injection after the expiry date which is stated on the pack after ‘EXP’. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Store Zofran injection below 30°C. Protect from light. -5
• When Zofran injection is diluted in intravenous fluids:
• it must be stored at 2-8°C for not more than 24 hours
• it does not need to be protected from light during infusion.
• Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 to 3 weeks in North America and 4 to 6 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
About Medix Pharmacy
Medix Pharmacy is a fully licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom who provides competitive pricing on brand and generic medications with international shipping.
We are regulated by a number of executive government agencies in the United Kingdom including the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and the GPhC to ensure we offer our customers the highest level of service and peace of mind knowing that the medicines that you receive are safe, effective and authentic.
Drug prices for Zofran vary throughout the world with the highest prices generally in the United States. Patients can save significantly on their prescriptions drugs when purchasing them from a licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom and other countries such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.