Brand Name Choices
What Zetia is and what it is used for
Ezetimibe is a medicine to lower increased levels of cholesterol.
Ezetimibe lowers levels of total cholesterol, "bad" cholesterol (LDL cholesterol), and
fatty substances called triglycerides in the blood. In addition, Ezetimibe raises levels
of "good" cholesterol (HDL cholesterol).
Ezetimibe, the active ingredient of Ezetimibe, works by reducing the cholesterol
absorbed in your digestive tract.
Ezetimibe adds to the cholesterol-lowering effect of statins, a group of medicines that
reduce the cholesterol your body makes by itself.
Cholesterol is one of several fatty substances found in the bloodstream. Your total
cholesterol is made up mainly of LDL and HDL cholesterol.LDL cholesterol is often called “bad” cholesterol because it can build up in the walls
of your arteries forming plaque. Eventually this plaque build-up can lead to a
narrowing of the arteries. This narrowing can slow or block blood flow to vital organs
such as the heart and brain. This blocking of blood flow can result in a heart attack or
HDL cholesterol is often called “good” cholesterol because it helps keep the bad
cholesterol from building up in the arteries and protects against heart disease.
Triglycerides are another form of fat in your blood that may increase your risk for
It is used for patients who cannot control their cholesterol levels by cholesterol
lowering diet alone. You should stay on your cholesterol lowering diet while taking
Ezetimibe is used in addition to your cholesterol lowering diet if you have:
• a raised cholesterol level in your blood (primary hypercholesterolaemia [heterozygous familial and non-familial]) o together with a statin, when your cholesterol level is not well controlled with a statin alone. o alone, when statin treatment is inappropriate or is not tolerated.
• a hereditary illness (homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia) that increases the cholesterol level in your blood. You will also be prescribed a statin and may also receive other treatments. If you have heart disease, ezetimibe combined with cholesterol-lowering medicines called statins reduces the risk of heart attack, stroke, surgery to increase heart blood flow, or hospitalisation for chest pain. Ezetimibe does not help you lose weight
How to take Zetia
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Continue taking your
other cholesterol-lowering medicines unless your doctor tells you to stop. You should
check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
• Before starting this medicine, you should be on a diet to lower your cholesterol.
• You should keep on this cholesterol lowering diet whilst taking this medicine. The recommended dose is one Ezetimibe 10 mg tablet by mouth once a day. Take this medicine at any time of the day. You can take it with or without food. If your doctor has prescribed Ezetimibe along with a statin, both medicines can be taken at the same time. In this case, please read the dosage instructions in the package leaflet of that particular medicine. If your doctor has prescribed Ezetimibe along with another medicine for lowering cholesterol containing the active ingredient colestyramine or any other medicine containing bile acid sequestrant, you should take Ezetimibe at least 2 hours before or 4 hours after taking the bile acid sequestrant. If you take more Ezetimibe than you should Please contact your doctor or pharmacist if you take more Ezetimibe than you should. If you forget to take Ezetimibe Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten tablet, just take your normal amount of Ezetimibe at the usual time the next day. If you stop taking Ezetimibe Talk to your doctor or pharmacist because your cholesterol may rise again. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets
The following terms are used to describe how often side effects have been reported:
Very common (may affect more than 1 of 10 patients)
Common (may affect up to 1 of 10 patients)
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 of 100 patients)
Rare (may affect up to 1 of 1,000 patients)
Very rare (may affect up to 1 of 10,000 patients, including isolated reports). Contact your doctor immediately if you experience unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness. This is because on rare occasions, muscle problems, including muscle breakdown resulting in kidney damage, can be serious and may become a potentially life-threatening condition. Allergic reactions, including swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and/or throat that may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing (which requires treatment right away) have been reported in general use. When used alone, the following side effects were reported:
Common: abdominal pain; diarrhoea; flatulence; feeling tired.
Uncommon: elevations in some laboratory blood tests of liver (transaminases) or muscle (CK) function; cough; indigestion; heartburn; nausea; joint pain; muscle spasms; neck pain; decreased appetite; pain; chest pain; hot flush; high blood pressure. Additionally, when used with a statin, the following side effects were reported:
Common: elevations in some laboratory blood tests of liver function (transaminases); headache; muscle pain; tenderness or weakness.
Uncommon: tingling sensation; dry mouth; itching; rash; hives; back pain; muscle weakness, pain in arms and legs; unusual tiredness or weakness; swelling, especially in the hands and feet. When used with fenofibrate, the following common side effect was reported: abdominal pain. Additionally, the following side effects have been reported in general use: dizziness; muscle aches; liver problems; allergic reactions including rash and hives; raised red rash, sometimes with target shaped lesions (erythema multiforme); muscle pain, tenderness or weakness; muscle breakdown; gallstones or inflammation of the gallbladder (which may cause abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting); inflammation of the pancreas often with severe abdominal pain; constipation; reduction in blood cell counts, which may cause bruising/bleeding (thrombocytopaenia); tingling sensation; depression; unusual tiredness or weakness; shortness of breath.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme Website: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Zetia
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the tablet blister, carton and bottle after "EXP." The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• This medicinal product does not require any special temperature storage conditions Blisters: Store in the original package in order to protect from moisture. Bottles: Keep the container tightly closed in order to protect from moisture. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
About Medix Pharmacy
Medix Pharmacy is a fully licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom who provides competitive pricing on brand and generic medications with international shipping.
We are regulated by a number of executive government agencies in the United Kingdom including the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and the GPhC to ensure we offer our customers the highest level of service and peace of mind knowing that the medicines that you receive are safe, effective and authentic.
Drug prices for Zetia vary throughout the world with the highest prices generally in the United States. Patients can save significantly on their prescriptions drugs when purchasing them from a licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom and other countries such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.