Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Xifaxan (Rifaximin)
What Xifaxan is and what it is used for
Targaxan contains the active substance rifaximin. Targaxan is an antibiotic that destroys bacteria, which can cause a disease called hepatic encephalopathy (symptoms include agitation, confusion, muscle problems, difficulty in speaking and in some cases coma). Targaxan is used in adults with liver disease to reduce the recurrence of episodes of overt hepatic encephalopathy. Targaxan can either be used alone or more commonly together with medicines containing lactulose (a laxative)
How to take Xifaxan
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. The recommended dose is 1 tablet twice a day taken with a glass of water. Your doctor will assess the need for you to continue treatment after 6 months. If you take more Targaxan than you should If you take more than the recommended number of tablets, even if you do not notice any problems, please contact your doctor. If you forget to take Targaxan Take the next dose at its normal time. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten tablet. If you stop taking Targaxan Do not stop taking Targaxan without talking to your doctor first because your symptoms may return. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking Targaxan and tell your doctor IMMEDIATELY if you have any of the
following side effects:
Uncommon: may affect up to 1 in 100 people
• If you have bleeding from swollen blood vessels in your throat (oesophageal varices).
• If you have severe diarrhoea during or after using this medicine. This may be due to an infection of the intestine.
Not known (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
• If you get an allergic reaction, hypersensitivity or angioedema. Symptoms include:
•swelling of the face, tongue or throat
•hives and breathing difficulties.
• If you have any unexpected or unusual bleeding or bruising. This may be due to a decrease in the platelets in your blood which increases the risk of bleeding. Frequency is not known (cannot be estimated from the available data).
Other side effects that may occur
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
• Depressed mood
• Shortness of breath
• Feeling or being sick
• Stomach ache or bloating/swelling
• Accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity (ascites)
• Rash or itching
• Muscle cramps
• Joint pain
• Swelling of ankles, feet or fingers
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people):
• Yeast infections (such as thrush)
• Urinary infection (such as cystitis)
• Anaemia (reduction in red blood cells which can make the skin pale and cause weakness or breathlessness)
• Loss of appetite
• Hyperkalaemia (high level of potassium in the blood)
• Feeling sleepy
• Difficulty sleeping
• Feeling unsteady
• Loss of or poor memory
• Loss of concentration
• Reduced sense of touch
• Convulsions (fits)
• Hot flushes
• Fluid around the lungs (pleural effusion)
• Abdominal pain
• Dry mouth
• Muscle pain
• Needing to pass urine more often than usual
• Difficulty or pain passing urine
• Oedema (swelling due to too much fluid in the body)
Rare (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people):
• Chest infections including pneumonia
• Cellulitis (inflammation of tissue under skin)
• Upper respiratory tract infections (nose, mouth, throat)
• Rhinitis (inflammation inside the nose)
• Dehydration (body water loss)
• Changes in blood pressure
• Constant breathing problems (such as chronic bronchitis)
• Back pain
• Protein in the urine
• Feeling weak
• Pain following surgery
Not known (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data):
• Fainting or feeling faint
• Skin irritation, eczema (itchy, red, dry skin)
• Reduction in platelets (seen in the blood)
• Changes in the way the liver is working (seen in blood test)
• Changes in blood coagulation (International Normalised Ratio seen in blood test)
Reporting of side effects : If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. United Kingdom: You can also report side effects directly via Yellow Card Scheme Website: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine. Ireland: . You can also report side effects directly via HPRA Pharmacovigilance, Earlsfort Terrace, IRL
•Dublin 2; Tel: +353 1 6764971; Fax: +353 1 6762517. Website: www.hpra.ie; E-mail: [email protected] By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Xifaxan
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and the blister after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Targaxan does not require any special storage conditions. Do not throw away any medicine via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
About Medix Pharmacy
Medix Pharmacy is a fully licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom who provides competitive pricing on brand and generic medications with international shipping.
We are regulated by a number of executive government agencies in the United Kingdom including the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and the GPhC to ensure we offer our customers the highest level of service and peace of mind knowing that the medicines that you receive are safe, effective and authentic.
Drug prices for Xifaxan vary throughout the world with the highest prices generally in the United States. Patients can save significantly on their prescriptions drugs when purchasing them from a licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom and other countries such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.