Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Hydrea (Hydroxyurea)
What Hydrea is and what it is used for
The name of your medicine is Hydrea. Each capsule contains hydroxycarbamide as the active ingredient. Hydroxycarbamide belongs to a group of medicines called anti-neoplastic medicines. These medicines interfere with the growth of cancer cells. Hydrea is used to treat some types of cancer such as cervical cancer and a type of leukaemia called chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML). The precise reason why you are being given Hydrea is best discussed with your doctor.
How to take Hydrea
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. You may be instructed to take your medicine on either a daily basis or an irregular basis. The recommended dose is 20-30mg of Hydrea per kg of your bodyweight once a day or 80 mg per kg of your body weight once every third day. 3 Elderly patients may be more sensitive to the effects of Hydrea and may be given a lower dose. You can take this medicine at any time of the day, before or after meals. The capsules should be swallowed whole with a glass of water. However if you find it difficult to swallow them, the contents of the capsule can be emptied into a glass of water and taken immediately. If some of the powder floats on the surface of the water, DO NOT WORRY this is just filler from the capsule. DO NOT inhale the contents of the capsules and if you spill any on the skin wipe it immediately. While you are being treated with Hydrea it is important that you drink plenty of fluids. This will help your kidneys work well. If you are going to have radiation therapy, this medicine will usually be started 7 days before starting radiation treatment. You should keep taking your capsules until your doctor tells you to stop. Children There is limited experience with the use of Hydrea in this age group If you take more Hydrea than you should If you take too many capsules you should go to your nearest hospital Casualty Department immediately and take the medicine carton with you. The symptoms of overdose include; soreness, swelling of hands and feet and redness of skin. If you forget to take Hydrea If you forget to take a dose of this medicine DO NOT take the missed dose at all. Take your next dose when it is due; DO NOT take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
If you notice any of the following symptoms swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat,
itching or skin rashes, difficulty breathing, unexplained fever, chills or sore throat,
breathing difficulties, wasting of muscles and peeling of the skin and nails, you should
stop taking the tablets and tell your doctor immediately as these may be signs of an
If you notice any of these symptoms you should see your doctor immediately.
• unexplained shortness of breath or cough with fever, skin ulceration, especially with severe infection
• blood disorders (reduction in white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets)
• lower back pain or pain in your side
• black tarry stools or blood in the stools
• unusual bleeding or bruising
• numbness or tingling of hands or feet
The following side effects have been seen in some people:
• skin changes and muscle weakness (dermatomyositis)
•you may experience symptoms such as muscle tenderness, muscle weakness or tiredness (especially when climbing stairs, 4 walking or rising from a chair etc), a rash on the face, hands or other parts of the body (which in some cases maybe scaly, purple and raised).
• absence or low amount of sperm in the semen (azoospermia or oligospermia).
• loss of appetite
• weakness, loss of energy
• sickness, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain
• sores on the lips or mouth
• difficulty or pain passing urine
• skin problems may occur including rashes, darkening of the skin, peeling of the skin, purple raised patches of skin and redness. There may be a worsening of existing redness or discomfort in the skin or mucous membranes if you have had radiation treatment in the past.
• temporary hair loss
• kidney problems
• skin cancer
• problems with the flow of the bile (cholestasis), the bile which is made by the liver to aid in digestion of food may not flow properly. A build up of bile can cause itchiness, yellow skin, very dark urine and very pale stools
• inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) which cause flu-like symptoms, including tiredness, loss of appetite, fever, aching, and feeling sick/being sick, pressure or pain below the right ribs and might also include yellowing of the skin or eyes
• drowsiness, dizziness, fits, confusion or hallucinations (seeing hearing or feeling things that are not there)
• Inflammation of the skin causing red scaly patches and possibly occurring together with pain in the joints
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Hydrea
Do not store your tablets above 25°C Store in the original package in order to protect from moisture. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the blister or carton after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 to 3 weeks in North America and 4 to 6 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
About Medix Pharmacy
Medix Pharmacy is a fully licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom who provides competitive pricing on brand and generic medications with international shipping.
We are regulated by a number of executive government agencies in the United Kingdom including the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and the GPhC to ensure we offer our customers the highest level of service and peace of mind knowing that the medicines that you receive are safe, effective and authentic.
Drug prices for Hydrea vary throughout the world with the highest prices generally in the United States. Patients can save significantly on their prescriptions drugs when purchasing them from a licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom and other countries such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.