Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Dulcolax (Bisacodyl)
What Dulcolax is and what it is used for
DULCOLAX Suppositories contain a medicine called bisacodyl. This belongs to a group of medicines called laxatives.
• DULCOLAX Suppositories are used for the short-term relief from occasional constipation
• This medicine does not help with weight loss
• DULCOLAX Suppositories are also used in hospitals to clear the bowel before surgery, X-rays or other tests
• DULCOLAX Suppositories stimulate the muscles of the bowel (large intestine). They have a laxative effect usually within 10 to 30 minutes
How to take Dulcolax
If this medicine is from your doctor or pharmacist, do exactly as they have told you. Otherwise, follow the instructions below. If you do not understand the instructions, or if you are not sure, ask your pharmacist or doctor. As with all laxatives, DULCOLAX Suppositories should not be used every day for more than 5 days. If you need laxatives every day, or if you have abdominal pain which does not go away, you should see your doctor. How to use the suppositories The suppositories should only be used in your back passage. 1. Take off the foil wrapping 2. Lie on one side and pull your knees up towards your chest. Keep one leg drawn up more than the other 3. Use your first finger (index finger) or middle finger to push in the suppository 4. Gently push the suppository as far as possible into your back passage, pointed end first 5. Once it is as far as it will go, push it side-ways to make sure it touches the wall of the bowel 6. Lower your legs to a comfortable position whilst the suppository is retained in place 7. Keep the suppository inside you for at least 30 minutes If you feel the suppository might come out straight away:
• You may not have put it in high enough. Push it in as far as possible
• Try to keep it in for 30 minutes, even if you feel like you urgently need to go to the toilet. This is how long it takes to work How much to use For constipation Adults and children over 10 years
• Put one 10 mg suppository into the back passage for immediate effect. Only use one suppository per day Children under 10 years DULCOLAX 5 mg Suppositories for Children should only be used if recommended by a doctor. The usual dose is:
• Put one 5 mg suppository into the back passage for immediate effect. Only use one suppository per day
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, DULCOLAX Suppositories can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The following side effects may happen with this medicine:
Rare side effects (affect less than 1 in 1000 people)
• Severe allergic reactions which may cause swelling of the face or throat and difficulty in breathing or dizziness. If you have a severe allergic reaction, stop taking this medicine and see a doctor straight away.
• Colitis (inflammation of the large intestine which causes abdominal pain and diarrhoea)
• Allergic reactions which may cause a skin rash
Uncommon side effects (affect less than 1 in 100 people)
• Blood in the stools
• Abdominal discomfort
• Discomfort inside and around the back passage
Common side effects (affect less than 1 in 10 people)
• Abdominal cramps or pain
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly (see details below). By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine. United Kingdom Yellow Card Scheme Website: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard Malta Website: www.medicinesauthority.gov.mt/adrportal
How to Store Dulcolax
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children
• Do not use DULCOLAX Suppositories after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and blister after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Do not store above 25°C
• The suppositories should be protected from light. Keep them in the outer carton
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help protect the environment
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 weeks in North America and 4 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
About Medix Pharmacy
Medix Pharmacy is a fully licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom who provides competitive pricing on brand and generic medications with international shipping.
We are regulated by a number of executive government agencies in the United Kingdom including the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and the GPhC to ensure we offer our customers the highest level of service and peace of mind knowing that the medicines that you receive are safe, effective and authentic.
Drug prices for Dulcolax vary throughout the world with the highest prices generally in the United States. Patients can save significantly on their prescriptions drugs when purchasing them from a licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom and other countries such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.