Brand Name Choices
No generic medication is available for Colazal (Balsalazide Disodium)
What Colazal is and what it is used for
Colazide is used for the treatment of ulcerative colitis (ulceration of the large intestine). It may also be used to keep the disease under control by preventing further episodes. It works as an anti-inflammatory agent. This medicine contains balsalazide disodium as the active ingredient.
How to take Colazal
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. Adults and elderly patients: Treatment of ulcerative colitis: The recommended dose is 3 capsules three times daily to be taken with or after food. Swallow the capsules whole, with a glass of water if necessary. Treatment may be given for a maximum of 12 weeks. Your doctor may also give you steroids at the same time as Colazide. Maintenance treatment to prevent further episodes: The starting dose is 2 capsules twice daily (3 g daily) to be taken with or after food. Swallow the capsules whole, with a glass of water if necessary. Your doctor may adjust your treatment based on your response to the medicine. There may be an additional benefit with a dose up to 6 g daily. Whilst taking this medicine ensure you drink adequate fluids to remain well hydrated, especially after severe or prolonged episodes of vomiting and/or diarrhoea, high fever or heavy sweating. This is to avoid problems with your kidneys. During your treatment with Colazide your doctor will carry out blood and urine tests. Children: Colazide is not recommended for use in children. If you take more Colazide than you should If you think you have taken too many tablets contact your doctor or pharmacist. Take any remaining tablets and the packaging with you. If you forget to take Colazide If you forget to take a dose at the right time, take it as soon as possible after food. If you miss a dose completely, do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. Take the next dose as usual.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Immediate medical attention must be sought if you experience:
• a severe allergic reaction including swelling of the face, tongue, throat and lips
• unusual bleeding, bruising, rash, fever, sore throat or excessive tiredness. A blood count will be performed and the drug stopped immediately if there is suspicion of a blood disorder.
Other side effects that may occur with Colazide are:
• diarrhoea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, headache,
• gallstones, worsening of ulcerative colitis,
• problems with the blood,
• difficulty breathing, cough, fever,
• abnormal sensation or function (such as weakness or numbness), joint pains, muscle ache,
• hair loss,
• hypersensitivity. Problems with the kidneys including renal malfunction have been reported. Symptoms may include:
• blood or any other changes in your urine,
• rash, fever,
• loin or joint pain,
• fluid retention,
• decreased urine. Inflammation of the heart, liver and pancreas have been reported. Symptoms of these are:
• Inflammation of the heart: chest pain, palpitations, breathlessness and fatigue.
• Inflammation of the liver: flu like symptoms, jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes) and abdominal pain.
• Inflammation of the pancreas: abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) like syndrome has been reported. Symptoms are:
• inflammation of the joints, connective tissue, tendons and organs such as the heart, lungs, kidneys or skin.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the ellow Card Scheme, Website: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Colazal
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton after EXP. No special precautions for storage. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer required. These measures will help protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 to 3 weeks in North America and 4 to 6 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
About Medix Pharmacy
Medix Pharmacy is a fully licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom who provides competitive pricing on brand and generic medications with international shipping.
We are regulated by a number of executive government agencies in the United Kingdom including the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and the GPhC to ensure we offer our customers the highest level of service and peace of mind knowing that the medicines that you receive are safe, effective and authentic.
Drug prices for Colazal vary throughout the world with the highest prices generally in the United States. Patients can save significantly on their prescriptions drugs when purchasing them from a licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom and other countries such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.