Brand Name Choices
What Atacand is and what it is used for
group of medicines called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. It works by making your blood vessels
relax and widen. This helps to lower your blood pressure. It also makes it easier for your heart to
pump blood to all parts of your body.
This medicine is used for:
• treating high blood pressure (hypertension) in adult patients and in children and adolescents aged 6 to under 18 years .
• treating adult heart failure patients with reduced heart muscle function, when Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) inhibitors cannot be used or in addition to ACE inhibitors when symptoms persist despite treatment and mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists (MRA) cannot be used (ACE inhibitors and MRAs are medicines used to treat heart failure).
How to take Atacand
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist
if you are not sure. It is important to keep taking Amias every day. You can take Amias with or
Swallow the tablet with a drink of water.
Try to take the tablet at the same time each day. This will help you to remember to take it.
Amias 4mg, 8mg, 16mg and 32mg tablets: The tablet can be divided into equal doses.
High blood pressure:
• The recommended dose of Amias is 8 mg once a day. Your doctor may increase this dose to 16 mg once a day and further up to 32 mg once a day depending on blood pressure response.
• In some patients, such as those with liver problems, kidney problems or those who recently have lost body fluids, e.g., through vomiting or diarrhoea or by using water tablets, the doctor may prescribe a lower starting dose.
• Some black patients may have a reduced response to this type of medicine, when given as the only treatment, and these patients may need a higher dose. Use in children and adolescents with high blood pressure: Children 6 to under 18 years of age: The recommended starting dose is 4mg once a day. For patients weighing less than 50 kg: In some patients whose blood pressure is not adequately controlled, your doctor may decide the dose needs to be increased to a maximum of 8mg once daily. For patients weighing 50 kg or more: In some patients whose blood pressure is not adequately controlled, your doctor may decide the dose needs to be increased to 8mg once daily and to 16mg once daily. Heart failure in adults:
• The recommended starting dose of Amias is 4 mg once a day. Your doctor may increase your dose by doubling the dose at intervals of at least 2 weeks up to 32 mg once a day. Amias can be taken together with other medicines for heart failure, and your doctor will decide which treatment is suitable for you. If you take more Amias than you should If you take more Amias than prescribed by your doctor, contact a doctor or pharmacist immediately for advice. If you forget to take Amias Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten tablet. Just take the next dose as normal. If you stop taking Amias If you stop taking Amias, your blood pressure may increase again. Therefore do not stop taking Amias without first talking to your doctor. If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. It is
important that you are aware of what these side effects may be.
Stop taking Amias and seek medical help immediately if you have any of the following allergic
• difficulties in breathing, with or without swelling of the face, lips, tongue and/or throat
• swelling of the face, lips, tongue and/or throat, which may cause difficulties in swallowing
• severe itching of the skin (with raised lumps) Amias may cause a reduction in number of white blood cells. Your resistance to infection may be decreased and you may notice tiredness, an infection or a fever. If this happens contact your doctor. Your doctor may occasionally do blood tests to check whether Amias has had any effect on your blood (agranulocytosis). Other possible side effects include:
Common (affects 1 to 10 users in 100)
• Feeling dizzy/spinning sensation.
• Respiratory infection.
• Low blood pressure. This may make you feel faint or dizzy.
• Changes in blood test results:
•An increased amount of potassium in your blood, especially if you already have kidney problems or heart failure. If this is severe you may notice tiredness, weakness, irregular heart beat or pins and needles.
• Effects on how your kidneys work, especially if you already have kidney problems or heart failure. In very rare cases, kidney failure may occur.
Very rare (affects less than 1 user in 10,000)
• Swelling of the face, lips, tongue and/or throat.
• A reduction in your red or white blood cells. You may notice tiredness, an infection or a fever.
• Skin rash, lumpy rash (hives).
• Back pain, pain in joints and muscles.
• Changes in how your liver is working, including inflammation of the liver (hepatitis). You may notice tiredness, yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes and flu like symptoms.
• Changes in blood test results:
•A reduced amount of sodium in your blood. If this is severe then you may notice weakness, lack of energy, or muscle cramps.
Not known (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data)
• Diarrhoea In children treated for high blood pressure, side effects appear to be similar to those seen in adults, but they happen more often. Sore throat is a very common side effect in children but not reported in adults and runny nose, fever and increased heart rate are common in children but not reported in adults.
Reporting of side effects If you get any side effects talk to your doctor. This includes any side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to Store Atacand
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton label and blister foil after (EXP). The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Do not store above 30ºC. Do not throw away any medicine via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to protect the environment.
2 to 3 weeks on average
The average shipping time is 2 to 3 weeks in North America and 4 to 6 weeks internationally. We offer free shipping on all orders shipped to North America. Shipping is a flat rate of $20.00 for all other countries.
Price Match Guarantee
If you have been prescribed medication by your doctor and cannot afford the high price at your local pharmacy, Medix Pharmacy is the solution for you. All orders are backed with a price match and satisfaction guarantee.
About Medix Pharmacy
Medix Pharmacy is a fully licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom who provides competitive pricing on brand and generic medications with international shipping.
We are regulated by a number of executive government agencies in the United Kingdom including the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and the GPhC to ensure we offer our customers the highest level of service and peace of mind knowing that the medicines that you receive are safe, effective and authentic.
Drug prices for Atacand vary throughout the world with the highest prices generally in the United States. Patients can save significantly on their prescriptions drugs when purchasing them from a licensed pharmacy in the United Kingdom and other countries such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.